Thursday, April 21, 2011

What Love Really Means

This week I have been struggling with the question, "When is it OK to bar someone from your life because they just keep making wrong choices?"  There are two young men in my life right now that are challenging my desire to love them.  The easy route would be to turn my back on them, but I don't feel that it is what Jesus would do, or what He wants me to do.
I don't think it is a coincidence that I just finished re-reading "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers, just as I am faced with this challenge. "Redeeming Love" is a story based on the Book of Hosea and is a powerful picture of God's unconditional love and acceptance for us.  I am reminded that I am called to love others as God has loved me.
Love is a very strong force with the ability to change lives for eternity.  While it is difficult to love certain people, the Holy Spirit is able to equip us for the challenges that loving presents.  Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we can find ways of sharing God's love.  One of these guys felt loved just because I accepted his collect phone call when he contacted me from jail, and then brought him some stamps.
 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18
A word of caution - don't be manipulated, be led by the Holy Spirit.  Jesus has sent us out as lambs among wolves to minister in His name.  If the person you are called to love is open and receptive to Words of Life you can make a difference.  If they are not, then shake the dust off of your sandals.
I hope you enjoy this Christian Praise Song
-Scott Smith, K-LOVE Asst. Program Director/Music Director said, "Listening to JJ Heller's 'What Love Really Means' brings me to tears! What a beautiful reminder that no matter where you find yourself in life.  God loves you.  Really loves you, no matter what you have done or failed to do, He is always there.  What an amazing mesage to share with everyone who listens."

Please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment