Thursday, July 31, 2008

Intimacy or Isolation

I just have to share with you this paragraph from "Twenty Piece Shuffle"-

"Ironically, true intimacy is probably also one of our greatest fears. Most of us spend a tremendous amount of time, energy, and money creating an image of ourselves to sell to the world around us--an image based on what we would like to believe about ourselves, if we didn't know better. An image more acceptable, we hope, than the unlovely self we are sure would be rejected if it was discovered. Fearing to be truly known, we hoist an image and carry it before us like a shield , protecting the vulnerable, tender inner core in which we truly dwell. The more we succumb to this fear, the deeper we descend into isolation and the more convinced we become we must hide the "awful truth" about our deepest selves."



I have to admit that this quote was very descriptive of the way I often feel. What do you think about it?

1 comment:

  1. Theresa - Thanks for inviting me to read your blog. I'm excited about it and about the store's website. I love the store, but with four little ones I don't get to come and browse very often!
    This quote really speaks to me. It's hard to be authentic with people. I've always been a people pleaser and I really struggle sometimes to "be" instead of to "seem." Thanks for sharing this - the book is going on my must read list.

    ReplyDelete